Seems that Billabong and the XXL Big Wave Awards have gone their separate ways… (based on the fact nothing is mentioned of ‘Billabong’)
Dear XXL Surfers and Photographers,
I just wanted to check in with everyone as the 2015 XXL Big Wave Awards is about to kick into high season with the launch of the new event website in just a couple of weeks. As you may have heard, I am now operating the XXL Big Wave Awards under the umbrella of the Association of Surfing Professionals which will allow the event to build on the last 15 years of success and reach its maximum potential over the coming years.
The new and improved event website will be launching in mid-October ahead of the main winter season and will feature every entered photo and video clip in an easier-to-review format. In the meantime we are still pumping the steady stream of Southern Hemisphere action that has been coming in on our social media channels on Facebook and YouTube. If you have bookmarked them, please note the URLs have changed slightly so they are at www.Facebook.com/XXL and www.YouTube.com/XXL. We have retained all our friends and followers through the shift of those handles, so you’re probably still connected there.
We’ve had a ton of great entries sent in already from all over the world including epic material from Teahupoo in Tahiti, Puerto Escondido in Mexico, Cow Bombie in West Oz, Punta de Lobos in Chile and a lot more — including some very early action at Mullaghmore Head in Ireland. A lot of the best moments have been posted on the social sites and some of it was held back until the new logos were ready and now that the new look is in place, all of it will be up shortly.
If you have any photos or video of big wave action you feel is worthy of entry for this year’s event that you haven’t sent in yet, please send it to me THIS WEEK so it can be included in the new website launch. Any ride since March 21, 2014 is eligible and all the rules are the same as they have been going forward. (As is prize money, which I hope to be able to increase some going forward…)
As a reminder, below I’ve pasted some of the basic submission guidelines so things go as smoothly as possible from the start. Thanks for your support and good luck as the Northern Hemisphere winter gets underway. Whether you call it an El Niño or not, there seems to be a lot happening out there in the oceans this year and I’m calling for one of the greatest winters of all time. Good luck and stay in touch!
XXL Big Wave Awards
XXL BIG WAVE AWARDS IMAGE ENTRY GUIDELINES
Dear XXL Photographer,
Welcome to the 2015 XXL Big Wave Awards. We look forward to seeing your material and working together with you. Below are some of the basic submission guidelines to make all of our lives easier and make the workflow smoother.
FYI, up to this point in the 2014/15 season we post new entries as previews on the XXL Facebook page. Meanwhile we are building up the main site that will appear within the ASP World Tour site with a new look and new functionality that will launch in mid-October before the Northern Hemisphere winter kicks in. That site will rock all winter until we announce the nominees in late March and roll into the next XXL Awards ceremony which will be in early May, 2015. Thanks for joining in the XXL festivities!
* Please make sure all submitted photos are 1500 pixel width jpegs, with no embedded credits or watermarks. Not bigger, not smaller. Should your image be selected as a nominee we will need to get the full resolution image but that’s not until March.
* In the case of sequences, no more than eight (8) images should be submitted from a single ride. YOU decide which shots best show the biggest or most dramatic moments of the ride. When we receive 38 shot sequences it puts it to the back of the bus for prepping.
* When submitted, still photos should be given a unique file name which defines the name of the surfer, the break, the photographer and the position in the sequence, but contains no more than 30 total characters. (EXAMPLE: BObamaMavsSpielberg1.jpg)
* Make sure to advise the date the photo was taken in your email. If there are any surfer, spot or photog names which aren’t totally obvious, please clarify.
* If you only have a few shots to submit, email to “email removed”. If you have more than 8 or so images to submit, please use a file transfer site such as YouSendIt.com or WeTransfer or DropBox, etc.
* Ride of the Year and Wipeout clips should be delivered by a transfer site such as YouSendIt.com or by FTP and should be maximum resolution HD Quicktime (.mov) files, in full original uncompressed quality. (4K is great, as long as the file size is not too massive for an easy transfer.) Please make sure each submission it is clearly ID’d as far as the surfer’s name (and hometown if you know it), location shot, date shot and the videographer credit, which may also include a one-line website or email mention. Don’t send raw P2 or MTS or Red etc. files as we may not always have all the latest conversion applications on hand.
* We need the clip in its maximum resolution frame rate so we can use it for all needs, but if you shot it in super super slow motion, it’s also helpful if you send it also in a 100% speed actual speed version, along with a 50% percent slow motion which will be compiled into the entry clip. With all the random speeds and frame rates recently made available it is harder and harder to precisely re-speed every submission so your assistance is appreciated.
To keep the paperwork reasonable, we will accept entries now based on knowing you are a reputable photographer and your adherence to the technical guidelines. Once we narrow down to potential nominees you and the surfer will be required to complete the standard entry form and release and to submit higher resolution images for measurement blow-ups.
By submitting an entry to the XXL Global Big Wave Awards, you are allowing permission for your image to be displayed on the XXL event website, event sponsor sites and all supporting social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc. with YOUR CREDIT GUARANTEED. Additional rights to utilize your images may be transferred only upon your agreement of distribution for wider media releases with credits, or by your entry being deemed a winner and you accepting the prize money, or by specific negotiation for other uses beyond basic promotion of the event.
Thank you and I look forward to seeing your latest entries!